Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Exchange 2010 SP2 Released

Yesterday Microsoft released service pack 2 for Exchange 2010. I haven't had time to go through the details yet, but you can check it out on the Exchange team blog.
Due to the problems with rollup updates earlier this year (two of them were pulled and updated), I'd wait at least a month before considering implementation of SP2.

Update: Summary of New Features
Things I think will be useful to me:
  • Disable auto-mapping for mailboxes with full access. Auto-mapping automatically opens any mailbox to which you have full access when using Outlook 2010 (or 2007 with updates) and Exchange 2010 SP1. This is great if there are only a few shared mailboxes. There is a work around to stop this by editing an attribute with ADSIedit, but that is a bit clunky. Now there is an option to disable automapping when using the Add-MailboxPermission cmdlet.
  • Mini-version of Outlook Web App. I haven't tested this yet, but I'm hoping this actually works on my older BlackBerry device with a browser that isn't so good.
Things that I don't think will be very important for me:
  • Ability to disable or remove a mailbox with litigation hold enabled.
  • New multi-valued custom attributes for groups, contacts, mailboxes, and public folders.
  • Easier configuration of mailbox replication between forests
  • Address book policies to define the address lists presented to a user (including GAL)
  • Silent redirection to an alternate location for Outlook Web App
  • Simplified hybrid configuration wizard. This is useful when integrating with Office 365. I just reviewed the documentation for the pre-SP2 wizard and this appears much improved.
For more detailed information about new features see:

No comments:

Post a Comment