Wednesday, September 20, 2017

ACMESharp and Visual Studio Code Error

I lost a fair bit of time troubleshooting an error that turned out to be an odd compatibility issue between the ACMESharp module and Visual Studio Code. Hopefully this saves someone else the time.

In Visual Studio Code, when running Submit-ACMECertificate, I got this error:
Submit-ACMECertificate : Error resolving type specified in JSON 'ACMESharp.PKI.CsrDetails, ACMESharp'. Path '$type', line 2, position 48.
At line:1 char:1
+ Submit-ACMECertificate nosub
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Submit-ACMECertificate], JsonSerializationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializationException,ACMESharp.POSH.SubmitCertificate



I read a bunch of stuff about Newtonsoft.Json being installed in the Global Assembly Cache, but it wasn't on my computer.

I tested the same script on my desktop instead of the laptop. Nope, same error.

It turned out that the command worked just fine at a normal PowerShell prompt. So, my best guess is that Visual Studio Code is doing something different with that Json conversion that PowerShell by itself doesn't.

Worked all good:


I've run into oddities in the past when using PowerShell ISE for some things. However, that was minor stuff like text colors not updating. First time I've seen something this large dependent on the dev tool.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, I was bit by the same bug. You just saved me a ton of time :)

    ReplyDelete